Sunday, June 26, 2011

Volkswagen Passat


I know I am a little late in the game seeing this commercial. However, I didn’t watch the Super Bowl when this add became loved by millions so when seeing it at the film awards grew sad that I had missed out on watching the Super Bowl adds last year. I think everything about this add is so cute. I know that cute may not be the best word to use, but that is really what I think of when I see it.       
      I think that Deutsch Inc. did a great job by using a child outfitted in a Darth Vader. Star Wars is something all Americans should be able to relate to. Even my eight year old cousin loves Star Wars and actually owns a few plastic light sabers. It is something so iconic for us that how could you not help but love it and in response feel a connection to the Volkswagen brand.
      Not only does this commercial take viewers back to their childhood with use of Darth Vader, but it I think it also strikes a chord with parents. Every parent has seen their child through a stage in which they are obsessed with one movie, one TV show, or maybe even just one character. They have to buy all the toys, play all the games, and listen to their child blab on and on about how their obsession is the coolest thing of all time. This commercial demonstrates how children truly become invested in their favorite things.
      I doesn’t even matter that the car itself in only featured for a few seconds because the viewer is already hooked on what Volkswagen is selling based on how relatable this ad is.  However, the car is highlighted as making all of the little boy’s dreams come true when he thinks that he can power it with his mind.
      As far as production techniques are concerned I don’t see how any special effect would have been used. The filming of this ad would have been done on set and outdoors. There was no animation used, but instead real actors.  

http://www.canneslions.com/work/film/entry.cfm?entryid=6396&award=2

1 comment:

  1. I think this commercial is the funniest to parents as well! How many times have they had to play along with our little game and fantasies!?

    ReplyDelete